Logistical and Programme Support Consultant
United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) is an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, which responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. UNAOC hopes to contribute to a coalescing global movement which, reflecting the will of the vast majority of people, rejects extremism in any society.
On November 5-6 2018, the Alliance will organize the 8th Global Forum. Nearly 1,200 participants (state and non-state representatives) are expected to take part in the Forum and engage in various working sessions, plenaries and other important sessions.
An Organizing Committee for the 8th Global Forum of UNAOC has been set up to oversee all substantive and logistical preparations of the Forum. It will seek assistance from a number of short-term external experts and support consultants, who will help to ensure smooth and timely delivery of expected milestones and outcomes of the Forum.
In preparation for its 8th Global Forum, UNAOC will recruit a short-term consultant, whose prime responsibilities will include the following:
- Assist with updating databases, verifying accuracy of data using online sources.
- Draft formal letters of invitations and notes verbale, using the existing templates.
- Circulate Forum-related documentation to the invitees via email, e-fax, hand-delivery (letters, logistical notes); reply to invitees queries on any logistical questions related to the Forum.
- Assist the UNAOC logistical team with booking flights, arrange for accommodation, local transportation, meals and visas.
- Assist the UNAOC project management team with logistical arrangements related to the breakout sessions, liaison with speakers, technical set up of the session’s venue, interpretation, circulation of substantive documents to the session participants, etc.
- Act as a rapporteur during the Forum sessions, prepare summary notes and contribute to the Forum report preparation.
- As and when requested, conduct desk research on the main Forum’s theme and support programme officers with relevant research.
- Contribute to the overall work of the UNAOC Secretariat and take on additional tasks as and when needed.
University degree in business administration, management, communication, social sciences, international relations or related field is required.
Work experience and Skills
- Experience in providing logistical and administrative support to the high level officials.
- Experience in conference management and logistical arrangements of various types of events (workshops, conferences, ceremonies, etc.).
- Experience in conducting research on the topics of peace and security, humanitarian issues, human rights or any other topic, relevant to the work of the United Nations and UNAOC.
- Very strong attention to details, experience in drafting various types of documents (letters, notes verbale, formal emails to conference participants).
- Ability to work in a multicultural and international environment; good knowledge of the UN system mechanisms and UN agencies’ mandates, knowledge and experience in UN rules and procedures are assets.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, Power Point and databases.
Fluency in both spoken and written English; working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 10 July 2018. The subject of your email should contain the title of the post that you are applying for.
Your application should include, at a minimum: a letter of motivation (strictly no longer than 1 page) and resume / curriculum vitae. Please also indicate your daily rate.
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight New York Time (EST) on the closing date of the announcement.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email.